How to migrate legacy extension preferences

Neil Bird lists at fnxweb.com
Sat Sep 30 09:22:18 UTC 2017

  OK, so I have to use the new storage API for prefs. going forward, but
I have found the following page confusing:

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/09/08/last-chance-migrate-user-data/

  I have no idea what this page is telling me to do in order to ensure
my users' prefs are migrated.  I think it's telling my add-ons prefs in
prefs.js will be deleted upon FF57, and I need to have read them and
re-written them to the storage API before then, even if I shan't get a
new version of the extension released by then.

  But under what circumstances can I do that?  Can I get at the storage
API from my existing “legacy” code & upload a new version to migrate it
in the meantime, or what?

  Will I still be allowed to upload “legacy” format extensions in the
short term (to allow this preparation)?  I had thought I read they were
going to be rejected (although, of course, they'll still work with ESRs
for a while).

  If that's the case, I shall need to put my efforts now not into
migrating the extension, but putting out an interim version that
migrates the pref's. data.

--
[phoenix at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[phoenix at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature