Firefox not granting alarms permission

James Anderson proginosko at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 23:21:52 UTC 2017

Thanks for the reply, Rob.

I'm pretty certain I haven't shadowed the browser object.

The weird thing is that the webextensions-examples that use alarms work
fine (e.g., chill-out).

But it's looking now like I have deeper problems. Now when I test the
extension with "web-ext run" Firefox opens and then immediately closes with
this error:

run: WebExtError: Temporary add-on installation is not supported in this
version of Firefox (you need Firefox 49 or higher). For older Firefox
versions, use --pre-install

Yet I'm using Firefox 55.0.3.

James

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Rob Wu <rwu at mozilla.com> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> browser.alarms with the alarms permissions works just fine for me, tested
> with Firefox 55.0.2 and web-ext 1.8.1.
>
> If you are still having the issue, can you show your code? Perhaps you
> have shadowed the "browser" object by declaring a "browser" variable in a
> local scope.
>
> --- Rob <https://robwu.nl>
>
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 2:50 AM, James Anderson <proginosko at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I've hit a brick wall while rewriting my extension for WebExtensions. I
>> need to use the alarms API, and I request permission in manifest.json, but
>> when I try to access the API from any of my background scripts I get errors
>> (because browser.alarms is undefined).
>>
>> This is what I have in manifest.json:
>>
>>     "permissions": [
>>         "alarms",
>>         "storage",
>>         "tabs",
>>         "webNavigation"
>>     ]
>>
>> All the permissions are granted except alarms. Does anyone know what's
>> going wrong? Any pointers would be appreciated.
>>
>> I'm using FF 55.0.3 with web-ext to run the extension.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> James
>>
>> --
>> James Anderson