test262 copyright issues even existing at all is a bit weird...

Max Power dist23 at juno.com
Sat Nov 23 17:59:17 PST 2013

The most amazing thing to me is that test262 code would necessarily be
copyrightable at all, except for the "copy freely but don’t alter" context.

Copyright law in the west, even BSD or Open Source in general is kind of
weird.

I find it strange that Disney in the US, just because it is able to afford
to buy members of the US Congress -- can get 150 year copyright on a lot of
its historic material. Copyright law -- based on the original perimeters of
protection in the "Statue of Ann" -- should never go beyond 11 years (or one
solar cycle).

The computer / IT realm should be wary of finding the right or sensible
copyright context for the things that actually need it -- and not get
entangled in the aspect of the state of lawlessness that has become endemic
to copyright law in the west.

My stance on this, not really informed by anyone but myself, is that you
should write test-262 tests, then release them under a liberal license, and
ask your favorite Ecma member to copy them into test-262.