Shell test harness

Dave Fugate dfugate at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 7 11:24:13 PDT 2011

 Glad to hear you're interested in this Paul!  I've heard through the grapevine that Google might have done something in this area (e.g., see http://code.google.com/p/v8/source/browse/branches/bleeding_edge/test/#test%2Ftest262), but  I don't know if they're still using it daily or if it works with the latest test262 sources.  Regardless, it hasn't been contributed to test262.

To answer a few of your specific questions:

- the 'negative' property in a globally scoped test being defined implies the test case is expected to throw an exception of some form.  In this case the value, '.', refers to a regular expression matching the exception's message as reported by window.onerror.  Now you're probably asking yourself two questions - why not match the exception type (e.g., SyntaxError) or use a more precise RegExp than '.' (e.g., "parse error")?  The problem here is three-fold.  First, the spec for window.onerror does not require that the exception's type be reported in the message passed to the error handler.  Secondly, ES5 does not require any specific error message for exceptions.  Finally, browser implementers really do need the ability to validate exact error messages even if this shouldn't be done on test262.  As a result, the test262 harness supports validating exact error messages, but the RegExp pattern '.' essentially allows *any* error message

- as David already mentioned, excludelist.xml contains a list of tests that are either disabled due to conflicts with the spec or because there's some issue in test262 infrastructure preventing them from being correctly run.  This file is used only by tools\TestCasePackager\TestCasePackager.py when generating the website.

- all tests are in test\suite\sputnik_converted and test\suite\ietestcenter.  In the long term, you'll be able to find everything under test\suite\* and there will be no differentiation between the two.  Also, ignore test\suite\sputnik which will be going away soon and has effectively been replaced by external\contributions\Google\sputniktests

- on $ERROR and $FAIL; not sure what the original Sputnik versions of these did, but the test262 versions are identical.  See website\resources\scripts\global\sputnikLib.js.  On a slightly related note, I've been planning on integrating sputnikLib.js into sta.js for some time and make some other small improvements in this area.  A great example of this is decoupling sth.js from jQuery and the HTML entirely, and setting up event handlers for performing actions on passes and fails.  Have a few of these changes in my local enlistment, but nothing of commit quality yet

- last but not least, by all means feel free to create a README:)  Alternatively, I've setup test262 FAQ on the ECMAScript Wiki - see http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=test262:faq

Thanks for your involvement!

Dave