Why Python?

Benjamin Smedberg benjamin at smedbergs.us
Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:11:48 -0500

Brendan Eich wrote:

> If someone thinks doing embedding for key clients other than Firefox,
> Thunderbird, Minimo, Camino, and the other apps we tinderbox or
> otherwise care about (Eclipse included), or doing embedding as a
> general-purpose SDK and runtime _a la_ XULRunner or the FlashPlayer, *as
> an end in itself* has similar such strategic advantage in bringing
> high-quality large volumes of new blood quickly to our world, please
> make a case.

It's hard for me to judge what "new blood" means here, but I certainly do
see XULRunner already prompting significant discussion from developers on
npd.xul and other forums who I haven't really heard of before. These are
mostly extension-developer types are graduating up to writing larger
standalone apps using the roughly-familiar XUL technologies; I may be
misinformed or pessimistic about python, but I believe that this community
has at least as much potential as Python. (creating a union of these
communities would be ever better)!

What I'm concerned about is that the roadmap should be a document saying
"this is what we are actually planning to do", rather than "this is what
we'd like to do, and we'll cut stuff later". This doesn't mean that we're
cutting python support, but it does mean that I don't think we should be
promising it (and we can generate excitement within the Python community
without making promises). Building a developer community around Mozilla
(Firefox) requires that companies/people who are planning business models
around FIrefox+python or xulrunner or whatever, know whether when Mozilla
say "we're doing Python support" that means that they will actually be able
to *deploy* something in Q1 07 which reliably uses XUL+Python (deployment is
an extremely important part of the battle that I think we have historically
tended to neglect). A generic "we can solve this with stub installers and
dynamic downloading" response isn't good enough!

--BDS