RDF work and backwards compat

David Bienvenu bienvenu at mozilla.com
Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:01:26 -0800

> Mentioning Aurora, does anyone remember (or remembers someone who may
> know) why Aurora didn't succeed? It may be nice to incorporate that
> experience into our design discussions.
It took all our resources to get the suite into a shippable state with
decent performance. We spent most of our time getting the platform
usable, and a lot less time on the app features.

 From the mail&news point of view, RDF caused us lots of performance
problems - when we stopped using RDF in the thread pane, we got around a
10x performance increase with medium size folders, and it made it a lot
easier for us to do interesting views that were either difficult or
impossible with RDF.

- David