Wikis

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 07:48:45 -0500

Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:

> Now that the aviary stuff has settled down somewhat, I wanted to throw
> this out.. if we really want the wikis to become a useful resource,
> there's a few things we might want to do.  Right now we have 5-6
> separate wikis that really should just be sections of a larger Mozilla
> wiki.  Also, the wiki software that we're using is somewhat of a
> disaster -- the pages look like ass, and it would take a decent amount
> of effort to make them look otherwise.  Before we get much more
> content on there, I'd like to suggest a move to a different wiki as
> part of consolidating the current ones.
>
> I just installed mediawiki (mediawiki.sf.net), which is the same wiki
> that wikipedia uses -- and it's been a pleasure to install and use.
> Very functional, including user logins and the ability to restrict
> edits to logged-in users, ability to protect pages, etc.  Very simple
> to install, depends on mysql.  Can be accelerated through memcached.
> Full revision control of edits, including arbitrary diffs and
> rollbacks.. also ability to edit sections of a page independently.
>
> Thoughts?  I'd be happy to help get this set up if we want to move in
> that direction.. I'd love to dump more information in the wikis, but
> right now they're pretty painful to use.  Sending this to moz2.0
> (since it most directly affects that documentation for now) and
> sysadmins.. not sure if it should also go to staff/drivers/etc.

Sounds good to me. The sooner, the better.

It would be nice if we get Wikipedia's editor with the helpful markup
buttons, with an extra button for preformatted code.

The ability to include and edit SVG diagrams would be very useful and a
cool technology demo.

Rob

--
Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ