'libxul' naming

Darin Fisher darin at meer.net
Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:53:24 -0800

One point I didn't see highlighted on any of the resulting threads is
the fact that the name of this library is really just an implementation
detail.  Our interface to embedders and component authors is still
libxpcom.so / xpcom.dll just as it always has been.  The uber library
(libxul) is just an implementation detail.  Now, we may end up adding
extra frozen entry points to help embedders (stuff related to getting
GTK initialized properly, etc.), but that is a side-detail.  The point
of libxul is to make the GRE more efficient, thus paving the way to
actually using the GRE in our mainline products.

As a matter of reducing confusion for developers using our technology,
I'd be happy if we stuck with the name GRE / Gecko Runtime.

-Darin