Opening bookmarks in new tabs and reusing the current tab

Yuri Khan yuri.v.khan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 06:58:27 UTC 2017

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Robert Bücheler <rf.buecheler at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I understand that @Yuri is saying, is that there should be an option to
> switch the current workings of middle- and left- mouse buttons.

Yes.

> Currently, provided browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInTabs is true,
> - middle-mouse button opens BM in new tab
> - left-mouse button opens BM in current tab (except for pinned tabs)

No. The behavior you described above is the default, i.e. when
browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInTabs is false.

When true, both left and middle buttons open a new tab, which makes
opening in the current tab a two-click operation.

<subjective>
Having two buttons do the same thing is redundant, and wasting a
one-click gesture like that is annoying.
</subjective>

> and with an option (lets say for instance: middlemouse.SwitchWithLeft or
> just Switch -- to provide the same feature for left-handers)
> - left-mouse button opens BM in new tab
> - middle-mouse button opens BM in current tab (except for pinned tabs)

Yes, that’s the behavior I’m after.

Left-handedness does not enter the picture. I’m not going to claim the
feature is needed in the name of accessibility, even if it would help
further my position.