Opening bookmarks in new tabs and reusing the current tab

Yuri Khan yuri.v.khan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 05:44:50 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Ed Lee <edilee at mozilla.com> wrote:

> I don't think there's concerns of how difficult it will be to
> implement some desired functionality. The amount of time it takes to
> put together a patch with reviews and the discussion here is most
> likely relatively small compared to the ongoing upkeep of the code and
> mental load of any other developer looking at or near this code.

Well, I’m also prepared to file bugs when somebody breaks it. And
maybe even fix some of the breakages.

> If you're looking for a 1-click way to get a bookmark to open in the
> current tab when browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInTabs is true, you can
> click and drag the bookmark into the page, and it'll replace the
> current tab. (You can even drag the bookmark to a desired new tab
> position in the current Firefox window or to another Firefox window.)

No, for two reasons.

The technical reason is that, when you pull down the Bookmark menu
with Alt+B, it opens and obscures some of the tabs. Usually including
the one that I’d like to replace. (And Alt+B is the only way to access
bookmarks that does not require precise aiming at a toolbar button AND
does not incur a permanent cost in screen estate.)

The personal reason is that I don’t want to drag-and-drop. It’s too
easy to drop on the wrong tab even with a mouse, and with a touchpad
pretty much guaranteed.