Announcing MozillaBuild 3.1.1 Release

Gregory Szorc gps at mozilla.com
Mon Dec 4 23:34:43 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Xidorn Quan <me at upsuper.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017, at 10:55 AM, Ryan VanderMeulen wrote:
>
> * The fsmonitor extension was re-disabled due to significant performance
> regressions for some common operations caused by watchman excessively
> polling the filesystem.
>
> <https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/libraries/win32/MozillaBuildSetup-Latest.exe>
> <https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/libraries/win32/MozillaBuildSetup-Latest.exe>
> If you're already using version 3.1 without issue, you probably don't need
> to pick up this release. You may want to consider disabling fsmonitor in
> the mean time, however. You can do that by making the change below to
> <mozilla-build>/python/mercurial.ini:
> https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-build/rev/7a7753947603
>

> It isn't clear to me what performance issue it has.
>
> From the bug, I can see the issue gps raised on GitHub:
> https://github.com/facebook/watchman/issues/548
>
> So my question would be, does it affect building Firefox in subdirectory
> of working directory? If it does, then it sounds very serious and people
> should probably disable it. If it doesn't, maybe it isn't a too big deal,
> since I don't think most developers want to create tons of files frequently.

I noticed the problem just running `hg pull` and `hg update` operations.
(pull because of changes to the .hg directory and update because of working
directory changes.) I was seeing a ~10x slowdown for large operations.

Fortunately, the issue is now fixed in upstream watchman. So watchman
should make a return in the next MozillaBuild. If you can't wait, the link
to download the latest Watchman for Windows build can be found at
https://facebook.github.io/watchman/docs/install.html#download-for-windows-beta.
Extract that into your MozillaBuild install and revert
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-build/rev/7a7753947603 to enable Watchman.