FF >= v57 a11y -- separate toolbars for Search & URL?

Sam Foster sfoster at mozilla.com
Thu Aug 17 18:10:43 UTC 2017

If I understand the requirement correctly, the problem isn't so much that
we need custom toolbars specifically, its that they were the only way to
get full-width custom content. The sidebar seems like a better fit in terms
of its flexibility and API, but doesnt work here because it is vertically
oriented and too narrow to be useful when a user has low vision and is
using large fonts.

I've filed bug 1391333 as one way to address this: make the sidebar more
responsive, or allow it to be docked to the bottom of the browser rather
than left or right. Its regretful that sidebar is named as such. In
function its more like an auxiliary content panel, and the side was just a
reasonable default for where it should live. Naming is hard :)

/Sam