[Go Faster] Intent to Implement System Add-on: SHIELD/Normandy

Michael Kelly mkelly at mozilla.com
Thu Sep 29 20:23:12 UTC 2016

On 9/29/16 12:21 PM, Felipe G wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Michael Kelly <mkelly at mozilla.com
> <mailto:mkelly at mozilla.com>> wrote:
>
>     The add-on itself does not require localization yet. All strings that
>     might be localized are fetched as part of the configuration for actions
>     that's entered in the admin interface and stored in the server's
>     database. We can target recipes by locale, so sending out a localized
>     survey would involve creating a new recipe targeted to the locale in
>     question, and using localized strings for the config.
>
>     For the time being we are only sending out recipes in en-*. When the S&I
>     team starts to talk about sending out non-en-* recipes, we'll be sure to
>     loop in the l10n team and come up with a process for submitting and
>     translating strings.
>
>     - Mike Kelly
>

> Can that decision to not work on localization right now be revisited?
> Starting that effort later when everything else is done will be more work
> than working on this in parallel right now.
>
> If you leave localization for the future, what will happen is:
>
> - someone needs an experiment outside of en-*
> - there's no process for it, so a lot of people need to get engaged to start
> working on the tools, flow, code, etc. about how to deal with localization
> - after that is done (~1 month), you'll have to wait more time until actual
> localized strings come in
> - by the time you have everything, the experiment is no longer needed

Good point.

So the add-on and service I think have everything we need for deploying
localized content, although the UX is mildly annoying. For surveys, we
deploy a new recipe targeted to the right locale and use translating
strings. Experiments are built in the form of an installed add-on, so
the technical mechanisms for translating add-ons applies. We'd then
create and target the recipe(s) for the experiment appropriately.

The missing piece is how to get translations in the first place, and I
suspect the process will be different for surveys and experiments.

I'll throw this around with the team and the l10n team and see what we
think that process might look like.

Thanks!
- Mike Kelly