What if you could reinvent Firefox theming?

Jared Wein jaws at mozilla.com
Wed Sep 28 22:48:43 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Andrew McKay <amckay at mozilla.com> wrote:

> > The largest amount of responses (29.8%) said that it is a real pain to
> keep these themes up-to-date and working
>
> > An overwhelming majority of the respondents insist that we don't need to
> change a thing and that other apps don't offer grand alternatives at 36.5%
>
> I found these two an interesting contrast, although developers might
> have been thinking about different things.

Yes, these are about two different yet related things.

When talking about a "real paint to keep these themes up-to-date and
working", the respondents are talking about XUL themes and how the API that
they use, effectively the whole front-end XUL + CSS, changes with each
release.

When talking about "we don't need to change a thing and that other apps
don't offer grand alternatives", the respondents are saying that the
theming situation in Firefox (XUL themes in particular) offer more power
than any other application that they know of and they don't need us to pull
features from other apps because anything is possible with XUL themes.

The two sentiments are closely related though, because while XUL themes
offer great power they also come with great maintenance issues.

- Jared