Testing safe mode

Robert Helmer rhelmer at rhelmer.org
Sat Dec 24 05:13:36 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 12:43 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Ryan VanderMeulen
> <rvandermeulen at mozilla.com> wrote:
>>
>> Most if not all of our automated test harnesses rely on add-ons to grant
>> extra privileges and such. Would it even be possible to use them in safe
>> mode?
>

> Sure, we can extend this check for that purpose I think
> <http://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/rev/60785fce6d52289c2e147364863f9d42207c5f91/toolkit/mozapps/extensions/internal/XPIProvider.jsm#722>.
> (I haven't tested this, we may need to change more things, but we do control
> all ends here.)

How are these add-ons loaded now, do they use the temporary
installation feature? If so then they should work now in safe mode.

If not - one easy way to do this that would require no code change
would be to load automated test harness add-ons as system add-ons. For
beta/release they would need to be signed using the system add-on key.