Improve our spell checker offering on Mac

Tim Guan-tin Chien timdream at mozilla.com
Sat Dec 24 15:57:18 UTC 2016

On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 9:33 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com> wrote:
> The spelling suggestions between different spelling engines will almost
> definitely always differ. However with the example below it is unclear to me
> which suggestion is better, since the typed word barely resembles either of
> the two suggestions. It also depends on the words you include in the
> dictionary. For example we exclude rare English words from the dictionary
> because they're much less likely to be used in real text and it would serve
> as a bad suggestion for a misspelled word.

I would agree it's a hard problem. That's why I am asking for better
user insight into this (instead of rely my guy feeling, or yours).

> Another point to consider is the breadth of different languages supported. I
> don't know how many languages OSX supports for spell checking but I wouldn't
> be surprised if that's a subset of the languages we support.

That's indeed being mentioned on the original bug.
I would argue that we should at least offer OSX spell as a pref-able
user choice, given how hard it would be to build that as an add-on.

(Even Grammarly couldn't be able to do a good job -- see bug 1258946)

Tim