Testing safe mode

Andreas Tolfsen ato at mozilla.com
Sat Dec 24 13:23:02 UTC 2016

Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com> writes:

> About 3 weeks ago I heavily broke basic browsing safe mode on Nightly
> (sorry about that!) and today we got a bug report that led to
> investigation (bug 1325651).

Hurrah for community!

> Have we ever thought about running automated tests on safe mode, at
> least periodically?  We currently don't even run automatic smoketests
> to make sure you can load web pages in safe mode, which seems bad for
> a mode that is supposed to be working with a higher probability than
> normal mode.

It sounds entirely possible to write or run some existing basic Firefox
UI/Marionette tests in safe mode as a basic smoke test for emulating
user content navigation.

Does this sound like the appropriate level to test this at, or do we
have existing xpcshell/mochitests that we could re-use?