Improve our spell checker offering on Mac

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at mit.edu
Sat Dec 24 08:18:14 UTC 2016

On 12/24/16 12:06 AM, Tim Guan-tin Chien wrote:
> The order is correct but my example was wrong, sorry.
> For this case:
>
> Type: cesee
> Firefox offers: cheese
> OSX offers: cease

OK....

> Safari offers "cease" on my Mac (10.12.2). I tried it with
>
> data:text/html,<textarea>cesee</textarea>

Interesting.

If I load that URL in Safari, context-click on the word, select
"Spelling and Grammar > Check Document Now" (without that the word is
not marked as miss-splled) and then context-click on the word again, the
first offered suggestion is indeed "cease".

If, on the other hand, I just type the string (possibly with errors and
backspacing along the way), sometimes the suggestion is "cease" and
sometimes it's "cheese".  And once just now it was a list of 5 different
things including both.  And sometimes I also get a little dropdown
"autocorrect" suggestion, which is always "cheese" so far; in those
cases the spellcheck suggestion is also "cheese".  I haven't pinned down
exactly what these behavior depend on.  :(

Same OS X version as you.

-Boris