Testing safe mode

Ehsan Akhgari ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 20:43:11 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Ryan VanderMeulen <
rvandermeulen at mozilla.com> wrote:

> Most if not all of our automated test harnesses rely on add-ons to grant
> extra privileges and such. Would it even be possible to use them in safe
> mode?

Sure, we can extend this check for that purpose I think <
http://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/rev/60785fce6d52289c2e147364863f9d42207c5f91/toolkit/mozapps/extensions/internal/XPIProvider.jsm#722>.
(I haven't tested this, we may need to change more things, but we do
control all ends here.)

> On Dec 23, 2016 2:38 PM, "Lawrence Mandel" <lmandel at mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> That does seem bad as safe mode is our mitigation strategy for a number
>> of issues.
>>
>> What tests do we need to execute for safe mode to prove that the env is
>> correct and functional? Are there existing tests that we can use in the
>> safe mode configuration?
>>
>> Lawrence
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> About 3 weeks ago I heavily broke basic browsing safe mode on Nightly
>>> (sorry about that!) and today we got a bug report that led to investigation
>>> (bug 1325651).
>>>
>>> Have we ever thought about running automated tests on safe mode, at
>>> least periodically?  We currently don't even run automatic smoketests to
>>> make sure you can load web pages in safe mode, which seems bad for a mode
>>> that is supposed to be working with a higher probability than normal mode.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> Ehsan

Ehsan