New weird password manager behaviour

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Dec 23 09:59:44 UTC 2016

On 22/12/16 20:37, Ryan Feeley wrote:
> I've been in contact about many of the recent changes with Matt, roughly
> planned long ago, but happening quite suddenly now. These interactions
> need polish, and we’ll be doing that (maybe even in person?) in the
> coming weeks. I don't believe the username field appearing on the
> password field was part of the original plan, but including one when a
> username field was not present was.

Without wanting to pile on to the people responsible for this particular
feature, it's already on Aurora. We encourage web developers to use
Aurora (a.k.a. "Developer Edition"). Therefore, it's a bad thing if UX
annoyances persist on that branch for any significant length of time,
which has clearly happened here, because it will not make those people
well-disposed towards using Firefox, particularly as their primary
browser. And they are influential.

Is there some facet of our development workflow which should have
stopped this? If so, why didn't it work? If not, should there be?

Gerv