SpiderNode for Firefox chrome code

Myk Melez myk at mykzilla.org
Wed Dec 14 16:38:04 UTC 2016

> Martin Thomson <mailto:mt at mozilla.com>
> 2016 December 13 at 17:18
> Does this have to be an all-or-nothing proposition? For instance,
> node links to openssl, which we almost certainly don't want.
It doesn't need to be all-or-nothing.

To your specific concern about OpenSSL, we can build without it, as
that's a supported configuration, at the cost of disabling various core
modules (and breaking some third-party ones), presumably at least
"crypto" <https://nodejs.org/api/crypto.html>, "https"
<https://nodejs.org/api/https.html>, and "tls"
<https://nodejs.org/api/tls.html>.

> I can't imagine implementing a shim for node crypto given how tightly
> bound it
> is to the idiosyncratic[1] openssl APIs.
Indeed, that sounds daunting to me as well.

-myk