Why are video downloader add-ons so popular?

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult enrico.weigelt at gr13.net
Thu Jun 18 21:16:08 UTC 2015

On 15.06.2015 14:51, Gervase Markham wrote:

> That's all very well; but (just like with ad blocking) Firefox would not
> necessarily survive the concerted effort of a large number of sites to
> get people to switch to an alternative browser because we decided to
> implement a feature which they feel significantly affects their bottom line.

Do you really think, that would happen (and users would actually buy
into that) ?

Who could that attacker be ? youtube ?

hmm, just imagining ... youtube puts a big banner onto their frontside:
"folks dont use FF, because it allows you to easily download videos
and so violate our terms of service" ...

... what would the average user do ?

My guess is: he would use FF and tell all his friends: "folks, use FF,
it allows you to easily download youtube videos".

> People who don't mind their software being unpopular have the luxury of
> not caring what people think. That's not us.

Why is being "popular" really an issue ?
Isn't it more important to attract developers for improving the code ?

--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt,
metux IT consulting