Why are video downloader add-ons so popular?

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Jun 19 09:41:44 UTC 2015

On 18/06/15 22:16, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
>> That's all very well; but (just like with ad blocking) Firefox would not
>> necessarily survive the concerted effort of a large number of sites to
>> get people to switch to an alternative browser because we decided to
>> implement a feature which they feel significantly affects their bottom line.
>
> Do you really think, that would happen (and users would actually buy
> into that) ?

Yes, I think it's a real possibility. If we went into a full-scale war
with the ad industry, sites could simply refuse to load with Firefox and
require e.g. Chrome or IE. It would start with sites that had a low
percentage of Firefox users and, as the Firefox market share dropped
further, more sites would join in. Or, they would just degrade the user
experience in Firefox to get people to move out of frustration.

> hmm, just imagining ... youtube puts a big banner onto their frontside:
> "folks dont use FF, because it allows you to easily download videos
> and so violate our terms of service" ...

It would say "Unfortunately, your browser is no longer supported. Here's
a list of links to alternative browsers you can use to view YouTube."

> Why is being "popular" really an issue ?

Because Firefox's market share has a direct relationship to our ability
to drive the web in the direction we want. If no-one uses our software,
why would anyone listen to us?

Gerv