Why are video downloader add-ons so popular?

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Jun 15 12:51:37 UTC 2015

On 13/06/15 20:17, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> Well, *I* am personally against of FOSS project ever caring about
> certain dubious corporations.
>
> The web wasn't invented to implement certain corporations' terms of
> services. It was invented for free information exchange. These
> corporations chose to publish their services by the web, so they
> have the terms of the web.

That's all very well; but (just like with ad blocking) Firefox would not
necessarily survive the concerted effort of a large number of sites to
get people to switch to an alternative browser because we decided to
implement a feature which they feel significantly affects their bottom line.

People who don't mind their software being unpopular have the luxury of
not caring what people think. That's not us.

Gerv