Why are video downloader add-ons so popular?

Chris Hofmann chofmann at mozilla.com
Fri Jun 12 16:33:42 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org> wrote:

> On 09/06/15 22:13, Javaun Moradi wrote:
> > When I look at our add-ons, the conclusion I draw from high video
> > downloader popularity is that many wildly popular Chrome extensions (and
> > the tech companies behind them) have extremely low marketshare in
> > Firefox.
>
> Addons, which were supposed to be a Firefox killer feature, are not as
> widely used on Firefox as on Chrome, even given market share
> differences. That's surprising and worrying.
>
> Are they doing things to drive addon use that we aren't?
>
> Gerv

Javaun's sample is showing a lot of 10x uniformity in usage of
popular addons.  Probably the first thing to try and validate
is the counting method for determining a chrome addon
user v. a firefox addon user.

Are both using some kind of recent update ping as the counting method?

Is one or the other, or both, using download/installation as the counting
method?

If chrome is using total downloads and firefox is using update pings then
true "active usage" might actually be quite similar.

We've touted things like 3 billion addon downloads, and yet know
usage is well under that.
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2012/07/26/firefox-add-ons-cross-more-than-3-billion-downloads/

amo has https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/extensions/?sort=users
but google makes a similar listing hard to get at.  has anyone seen
a list like this for chrome?

-chofmann
"skeptical of any measure of internet usage"