Why are video downloader add-ons so popular?

Richard Z rz at linux-m68k.org
Wed Jun 10 10:24:01 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 12:34:03AM -0700, Chris Peterson wrote:

> Why do users want to download videos? Some likely reasons:
>
> - to watch videos offline later (time shifting)
> - to watch a video locally to avoid streaming/buffering problems
> - to archive their favorite videos

* security: flash is irreparable, other plugins had problems repeatedly
* lack of control: I do not want random sites autoplaying video or
  audio, especially when opened in background tabs. Given the poor
  security record of many player solutions this is pretty urgent.

I don't use any of the downloader extensions but a key combo launchingg
an external program with the given URL. This could be another browser
with the plugins enabled or anything else.
This can be safely implemented in Firefox without breaking anyones
terms of service, it is the users responsibility what he does with the
URL.

Richard

--
Name and OpenPGP keys available from pgp key servers