Why are video downloader add-ons so popular?

Rob Whelan firefox at jtheory.com
Wed Jun 10 07:46:40 UTC 2015

I personally haven't ever installed plugins like these (I don't trust
them!) but I've used sites offering similar services.
The main motivations have been mostly working around poor connectivity
-- e.g., non-overlap between "when I'm online" and "when I want to play
this video".

That might mean downloading videos in a quiet internet cafe (so I can
play them later in the hotel for my kids).
Or even downloading videos when I'm anywhere with a spotty connection,
so I can play them *all the way through* without stopping (again,
generally for the kids).  It's an awful experience to get 2/3rds of the
way though a 10-minute video and then failing the load the rest of it.

Sometimes I can reload the page, sometimes I can click in the timeline
to a different part of the video then return... there are lots of little
tricks that often don't work, and in the meantime my kids are sadly
sitting there, hoping they'll get to find out what happened next.

Basically, downloaded means "this will work", and not downloaded (unless
we're at home, with a stable internet connection) means "roll the die
and hope".

There's a common approach for static content -- "open a bunch of tabs
and come back later to read them" (offline, or whenever) -- if this
could be made to work with video content as well, this would be a huge
improvement to the current experience of everyone with intermittent or
slow connectivity.

E.g., eager loading of all page content (including video) to cache, plus
visual status indication of some sort on whether that's completed or not.
The downside would be over-fetching content (for users who actually only
intend to watch part of it...), but I'd still be happy to just have a
dropdown option over HTML5 video, for "Preload fully", and then assure
playback will work even offline.

Rob