Why are video downloader add-ons so popular?

bobbuun bobbuun at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 9 23:49:03 UTC 2015

As someone who's used this family of add-ons, let me enumerate the
reasons I, personally, have used them. It was a challenge to find one
that I found trustworthy enough to add initially; I noticed even way
back that many were bundled with crap.

* Web media players suck. Imprecise volume controls, crappy or
nonexistent resizing/aspect ratio/playback rate changing, woeful
precaching, and tendency to fail/stop. Multiply all of these for
Flash-based players.
* Slow Internet at home (or out), download videos elsewhere, take home.
* Traveling, download video so I can take it with me where there's no
Internet. (Or only metered/slow mobile Internet).
* Video I know I'll be repeat watching, download so it can be found and
re-watched easily and without downloading again.
* Keep a local copy for much better pausing/resuming over long videos
(separate media players have better resource use than browser sessions,
which can get bloated and require restarts -- then I lost my spot).
* Local copy for MUCH better seeking to skip around/re-watch segments.
* Have video file to extract (legally allowed) segments for
non-infringing uses. (Frequent example: Show ads during a university
marketing course to discuss the ad academically; lecture materials
should always be entirely self-contained and never rely on a live
Internet connection.)

Sites I've used such on? Youtube, Wimp, Vimeo.