Themes?

MCDavis mcdavis941 at netscape.net
Wed Jun 3 15:10:10 UTC 2015

On 6/1/2015 5:47 PM, Gavin Sharp wrote:
>> Traditional, fully-featured themes, now known on AMO as "complete themes",
>> are very much in use.
> I'm curious what you're basing that assertion on :)
>
> While I don't think there are immediate plans to do so, we are very
> likely to drop support for "old-school" themes going forward, and I do
> not think investing in their documentation is a good use of time right
> now.

Hehe.  I know what you're saying.  My point though is that I see people
wondering whether it's still happening or assuming there's no activity
or use in this area, when actually it's a lot more than zero.  A lot
more.  I've seen several occasions of people asking questions similar to
Eric's, which is understandable, because the Mozilla community is huge
and almost no one sees all the parts, so it's worth speaking up.  As
with any minority constituency within a larger body politic, one must
stay visible or get forgotten, not because anyone is doing anything
wrong but because that's just how things go.

About that other part .. I look at Mark Surman's group's work on radical
participation and increasing contributors and making it possible for
contributors to "hang their hats" at Mozilla.  I look at the work theme
developers have already been doing for the last several years.  It seems
obvious to me that we're already doing what he's trying to get more of.

I could go on at great length -- great length :) -- but that's probably
enough.

BTW, Gavin, I'm sorry to see you moving on, but that's sure to be
someone's gain (hopefully yours too).  You've been part of my context
for a long time.