Themes?

Gijs Kruitbosch gijskruitbosch at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 08:21:12 UTC 2015

On 02/06/2015 00:59, Robert Strong wrote:

>     While I don't think there are immediate plans to do so, we are very
>     likely to drop support for "old-school" themes going forward, and I do
>     not think investing in their documentation is a good use of time right
>     now.
>
> It would be a "good thing" to announce such a likelihood early (now?)
> so the theme developers can choose whether they would like to continue
> maintaining, creating, etc. something that support for will be dropped
> at some point.

I don't understand how saying "we will likely get rid of full themes at
some yet-to-be-defined point in the future" is helpful for anyone. We
don't know when, and we don't know what the replacement will look like
right now, so saying anything definite will just create useless
uncertainty and justified backlash (why take away X which works, without
providing an alternative?). When there is a concrete plan, I'm sure
people will make the relevant announcements.

Long-term (ie at least a year, likely longer), a lot of people agree we
don't really want to be using XUL, and so that if nothing else will mean
full/complete/non-lightweight themes need an overhaul. We may also want
to do that overhaul sooner to ease the transition away from XUL, and for
various other reasons. In any case, it's not really useful to speculate
about this right now, because speculation is all it would be. We don't
even have accurate usage numbers (we have "installed by X users", but
not "current theme for X users", AIUI), so having a reasonable
discussion about cost/value isn't really possible at the moment.

That being said, I think given the complexity of full themes, and the
relatively small, expert community who make them right now, updating the
documentation to be up-to-date would likely take significantly more time
than the subject warrants, going forward, so I agree with Gavin that
there are probably more important things to update docs for.

~ Gijs