New community in Firefox 24; degree and improving

Justin Dolske dolske at mozilla.com
Sat Sep 28 20:26:41 UTC 2013

You may have seen
https://blog.mozilla.org/community/2013/09/16/firefox-24-new-contributors/
on Planet recently. Here it is in a nutshell: Firefox 24 contained 93
bugfixes from 43 developers (32 specifically being new volunteers) for
whom it was their first contribution. Note that this includes all
community members who landed their first patch in FF24 -- employees and
interns too.

I was curious how this broke down so I, uhh, broke it down (by Bugzilla
product, see bug 921752 if you want a ginormous buglist URL):

* 62 of the bugs listed were in Core. (Within that there were 15
JavaScript Engine bugs, 8 Audio/Video bugs, and 7 Canvas bugs. But it's
actually pretty spread out, because those three biggest clusters were
due to new developers fixing multiple bugs. EG, Benjamin Bouvier fixed
12 of the 15 JS bugs.)

* 13 Firefox for Android bugs. (Including 8 bugs from two developers who
fixed 4 apiece.)

* 6 Desktop Firefox bugs
* 4 Firefox Health Report bugs
* 4 Testing bugs
* 3 Toolkit bugs
* 1 Mozilla Services bug (log4moz)

This is just one data point (Firefox 24), and doesn't include fixes from
people who have landed patches in previous releases. But I don't feel
like this is anomolous in the bigger picture -- volunteer involvement in
desktop front-end developent is pretty light, and that doesn't bode well
for a healthy and vibrant community.

I'd be curious to hear thoughts and ideas (Summit fodder!) on how we can
work on improving that. Are there things other teams are already doing
that we can do too? Front-end is the most Web-like part of Firefox
(JS/DOM/CSS), are there web-developers who can get involved but don't
know it? And so on.

Also, has anyone done the Hg/Bugzilla-fu to get data on all volunteer
contributions (first-patch or not) by release? I think I've seen such a
thing before, but can't remember who did it or where. Bonus points for
data on how people come-and-go over time -- helping people get involved
is one thing, helping them stay involved is another. I've not seen any
analysis of that before.

Justin