Policy proposal: don't add tests with names that only include bug numbers and no description

Gavin Sharp gavin at gavinsharp.com
Wed Sep 18 18:25:25 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Gregory Szorc <gps at mozilla.com> wrote:
> I like your thinking! I proposed this almost 2 years ago. The responses are
> likely still relevant.
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.planning/HlOyIYwWeb8/NUH1cUa2cgYJ

I only really see concerns along the lines of "some tests can't be
easily described in a reasonable filename" and "I don't want this
rigid rule to remove my ability to use my judgement". I think we (as
front-end Firefox developers) should be using the following
guidelines:

- the default filename choice for tests should be something describing
what the test is testing, and shouldn't include the bug #
- if the test is so specific that picking a descriptive filename for
it is incredibly difficult, you can use a filename along the lines of
"browser_featurename[_N].js" (where "featurename" could be e.g.
"privatebrowsing", "urlbar", "toolbarbutton", "browserglue", etc.)
- if "what the test is testing" morphs over time, the filename
probably should too

I don't think we need to impose strict rules about test granularity at
this point (though that's perhaps a discussion worth having
separately).

Gavin