Click to play, the next big problem for many smaller, companies

Larissa Co lco at mozilla.com
Mon Sep 9 22:47:15 UTC 2013

On 9/9/13 2:04 PM, firefox-dev-request at mozilla.org wrote:
> My proposal, once again, for a compromise:
>
> * Block all hidden plugins by default, *but*, have a persistent and visible
> notification of some sort that indicates what happened and prompts for user
> action.
I am willing to try a persistent and visible notification for hidden
plugins rather than a disappearing one. I think the plan will be to
prototype both and figure out if one is more makes more sense than the
other (vague on the details because I have to find a way to put said
plan in motion).

Bsmedberg, perhaps since we haven't built a disappearing doorhanger yet,
we should try to implement something persistent only for hidden plugins?
(It will at least be more discoverable than the icon is right now.) But
before we do this, we need to give the user a "continue blocking" option
so that the doorhanger doesn't appear automatically if the user has made
a decision one way or another. In the current doorhanger, the user's
button choices are both "allow" choices; it's only if they click out of
the doorhanger to we continue to block the plugin.
> * Allow the user to indicate "never show for this plugin"
I still think that an " allow long term" option will be good enough
(right now inactivity is defined as 3 months of not visiting the site),
especially for users who use the site frequently. We can extend the
limits of what "long term" means once we get more data about how users
react in the real world. Again, the intent here is to keep users
protected from malicious plugins that could be introduced without them
remembering that they allowed plugins on the site... especially if the
site has been rewritten without plugins.
> * Blacklist specific plugins that are known to have a lot of security
> issues, such as Java, so that they revert to the current less obnoxious
> behavior.
not sure what you mean "so that they revert to the current less
obnoxious behavior", but we are planning on distinguishing between
regular plugins like yours, and plugins we believe are particularly
vulnerable. For those plugins, we'll make it harder for the user to
allow the plugin long term.

> To my mind, this solves most of the concerns and compromises on others:
>
> * In cases where a plugin is required for page functionality, users will
> never be left without that functionality and not knowing what is wrong
> * Compromised ad networks that use java to spread can be blocked without
> hurting the user experience
> * All hidden plugins are at least blocked by default, making it much more
> likely that plugins that aren't blacklisted but are being used maliciously
> will be stopped.
>
> No, it isn't perfect, and it doesn't solve all of the problems, but it's
> the closest I can figure out how to come to solving the problems you wish
> to solve without causing a situation where all of us using plugins have to
> start recommending that their users don't use firefox anymore.
Thanks for the great dialog and for the suggestions. I want you to know
that we do care about users and developers, and we're trying to do
what's best for a huge, varied user base, even if sometimes it makes
people unhappy :( Sorry if it's going more slowly than expected to
implement improvements to the initial design.

Larissa