The new find bar shifting down content

Quicksaver quicksaver at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 16:53:29 UTC 2013

Before anything,

> Perhaps! Has anyone tried to implement a Chrome-like solution, or is anyone
> willing to?
>
> Gavin
My add-on, FindBar Tweak, has implemented this as a feature, and it has
actually been one of the most well-reviewed features it offers,
according to the feedback I get from my users. It also offers the option
to move the new find bar back down on-the-fly, so it's easier and faster
to see the difference this change brings. Link:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/findbar-tweak/ if you're
interested.

Now, my two cents on the issue, coming from both an end-user of the
findbar and a developer of it as well (add-on); I wouldn't dismiss the
chrome-like approach so quickly, as some appear to be doing. A smaller
find bar serves its purpose as well as a large one, and the solution
Finn Bryant proposed for the horizontal shift issue would be, IMO, worth
trying, at least if that is the final design to go for.

However, until the shifting content issues are all fixed, I wouldn't
include the find bar on top as it is in a final release, I don't see the
trade-off "better position vs. shifting content annoyance sometimes" as
being positive overall. I would expect my browsing experience to be as
seamless (as in flowing and continuous) as possible, and I, as well as I
believe many people, would be turned away from firefox if the web
content would just jump like it does some times, every time I try to
find something. I tend to focus quite heavily on things that move,
whenever this issue happens it usually takes me a second or two to get
my brain back into whatever it was supposed to focus on. Since this is
something I can't control most of the time, as the shifting always
catches me by surprise as well, it becomes quite annoying to have my
browsing "interrupted" like that. Of course, as was mentioned, carrying
it to beta would provide that needed "actual-"user feedback...

In short: it's an improvement, but it's not yet finished, unfinished
features shouldn't be shipped and used by default, not when they replace
"finished" features. The find bar on the bottom, while maybe not ideally
placed (I agree that controller chrome stuff should go before controlled
content), is functioning perfectly well.

Luís Miguel