Persona New Tab

Justin Dolske dolske at mozilla.com
Fri Sep 6 17:26:14 UTC 2013

On 9/6/13 8:37 AM, Jared Wein wrote:

>> Hiya there, its that Waka_Flocka_Flame dude on IRC, so Ive came up with a
>> good idea for the newtab page, personas should be allowed to set backgrounds
>> (or get them to do that). In summary it would be great, id love to hear
>> feedback upon this before i write a bug.
>
> I believe that this has been a plan for a while now, it's just missing the implementation.

Well, there's the existing newtab page, and a redesigned newtab page UX
(Boriss) has been thinking about. I'm pretty sure I remember the latter
exploring more customization (like including a lightweight-theme), but
I'm not aware of any intent to do that with the existing newtab page.

We also need to look at the performance implications of doing this,
since the existing LWT stuff has had a number of sadmaking problems.
(Although it's possible that with the work to make the page fast with
thumbnails, this could be moot or at least easily addressed.)

I'll also note that this gets significantly more complex if this ends up
needing a new image size (e.g., more square instead of the thin-and-wide
stips currently used in LWTs), since that would require changes to AMO
and authors would need to create them.

Justin