Click to play, the next big problem for many smaller companies

Richard Bateman richard at batemansr.us
Fri Sep 6 04:42:58 UTC 2013

Fair enough.  Here are the things that I most commonly see plugins used for that there is currently no HTML solution for (or not a good enough one):

* Encryption / Authentication with encryption
* USB device integration (and other device integration, but USB is the most common)
* Advanced networking; networking in ways that can't be done using websockets; custom protocols, etc
* More complete filesystem access (there is stuff for this, but it is often inadequate to tasks that people need to do)
* Ability to launch other applications
* Ability to interface with other applications, grab screenshots, etc.

Most importantly:

* The ability to run processing code at native or close to native speeds.

I realize that doesn't all translate in, but maybe it'll be helpful. to someone, and I'll add to the list as I think of other items.  I'm offering brainstorms here, which is probably nothing new, but FWIW =]

Richard