Click to play, the next big problem for many smaller companies

Justin Dolske dolske at mozilla.com
Fri Sep 6 02:18:23 UTC 2013

On 9/5/13 12:58 PM, Richard Bateman wrote:

>> In addition, I'd love to know if many of the current plugins you
>> know of can be replaced with native HTML functionality. [...]
>> Scanning support seems like a simple and obvious extension to
>> existing camera functionality, and it might help your users who are
>> using Android phones or tablets.
>
> One more thing I want to mention; one really big reason that
> companies prefer plugins over extensions is the simple fact that with
> FireBreath they are “write once, run everywhere”.  No matter what you
> do with extensions, you and Chrome and Safari and IE are all doing
> different things (and let’s not even consider Opera…) and so anything
> that is written with an extension has to be written 4 times.  That is
> a *huge* increase in development time. I don’t know that there is
> anything you can do about it, but it’s a major consideration for most
> companies, including ours.

You've missed the point -- HTML is the "write-once" solution that is
Mozilla's mission to advance and improve. It runs in many places plugins
can not (notably iOS and Android).

The "obvious extension" refers to extending HTML and WebAPIs, not
browser extensions ala AdBlock. For example, it used to be impossible to
do video and 3D graphics without plugins. Now the web has <video> and WebGL.

Justin