Click to play, the next big problem for many smaller companies

Richard Bateman richard at batemansr.us
Thu Sep 5 19:58:29 UTC 2013

On Sep 5, 2013, at 13:19 , Benjamin Smedberg <benjamin at smedbergs.us> wrote:

> In addition, I'd love to know if many of the current plugins you know of can be replaced with native HTML functionality. I know we already expose the webcam/camera. At some point the WebAPI group discussed exposing a USB interface to more privileged webapps, but I don't think that ever came to fruition because of concerns about the security model. If there are some common patterns or things that we can expose which would make plugins unnecessary, I am very interested in speccing those out and helping find implementers. Scanning support seems like a simple and obvious extension to existing camera functionality, and it might help your users who are using Android phones or tablets.

One more thing I want to mention; one really big reason that companies prefer plugins over extensions is the simple fact that with FireBreath they are “write once, run everywhere”.  No matter what you do with extensions, you and Chrome and Safari and IE are all doing different things (and let’s not even consider Opera…) and so anything that is written with an extension has to be written 4 times.  That is a *huge* increase in development time. I don’t know that there is anything you can do about it, but it’s a major consideration for most companies, including ours.

Richard