CtP discoverability issues proposal

Benjamin Smedberg benjamin at smedbergs.us
Thu Sep 5 16:00:51 UTC 2013

On 9/5/2013 12:19 AM, Larissa Co wrote:
>>> to the user how to enable CtP
>>> colored icon for the permission
>>> automatically after a few seconds
>> For the disappearing doorhanger, when would that get used? On every
>> page load would probably become annoying
>> if i don't want to activate it. It would probably still be annoying
>> if it's just on the first page load for common plugins (e.g.
>> when i set Flash to "Ask to activate" in the addon manager).
> Good question. I was hoping that because the doorhanger would animate
> in and disappear automatically, that it wouldn't be super annoying to
> occur every time the user visits the page. We need to prototype this
> out though, and perhaps consider using it only the first time the user
> visits the page (I think they won't remember it if it only occurs once
> though).
>
> Here's a sample:
> http://people.mozilla.com/~shorlander/files/click-to-play-prototype/clickToPlay-Mockup-03.html
>
> Note that one of the changes I'd like to make is to have a "Continue
> Blocking" (or whatever we call it) option for the doorhanger. By
> clicking on this button, the user can tell the page not to bother them
> anymore with the animated doorhanger.
>
> Also, I thought you said invisible plugins are in the minority anyway?
They are for everything except Flash. Lots of people using hidden Flash
to do things like file uploads, web radio (e.g. pandora) and such.

As I just mentioned to Richard, I'm not sure that in general I *want*
hidden plugins to be more discoverable. I think the common case for
everything except Flash is that you're being attacked by a compromised
ad network and in those cases we don't want to throw this prompt up in
the user's face.

And I don't think we should be worrying about the design for Flash yet.
Let's get the current CtP into release, get feedback and fix bugs, and
keep working on Shumway. After that I'm willing to experiment with
making Flash CtP by default, but given the first pass of user research,
I'm a little skeptical that we should be doing anything with Flash yet.

--BDS