CtP discoverability issues proposal

Larissa Co lco at mozilla.com
Thu Sep 5 04:19:06 UTC 2013

On 8/30/13 12:00 PM, firefox-dev-request at mozilla.org wrote:
> On Aug 7, 2013, at 3:16 AM, Larissa Co<lco at mozilla.com>  wrote:
>> >2. When plugins are invisible (no in-content UI), it's not obvious to the user how to enable CtP
>> >- [already implemented by bug 888292] Use an Active or Urgent colored icon for the permission
>> >- Have the icon animate in (e.g. "flash") on page load
>> >- Have the doorhanger animate in on page load and then disappear automatically after a few seconds
> For the disappearing doorhanger, when would that get used? On every page load would probably become annoying
> if i don't want to activate it. It would probably still be annoying if it's just on the first page load for common plugins (e.g.
> when i set Flash to "Ask to activate" in the addon manager).
Good question. I was hoping that because the doorhanger would animate in
and disappear automatically, that it wouldn't be super annoying to occur
every time the user visits the page. We need to prototype this out
though, and perhaps consider using it only the first time the user
visits the page (I think they won't remember it if it only occurs once
though).

Here's a sample:
http://people.mozilla.com/~shorlander/files/click-to-play-prototype/clickToPlay-Mockup-03.html

Note that one of the changes I'd like to make is to have a "Continue
Blocking" (or whatever we call it) option for the doorhanger. By
clicking on this button, the user can tell the page not to bother them
anymore with the animated doorhanger.

Also, I thought you said invisible plugins are in the minority anyway?

Larissa