Thoughts on Bug 833511 - Add rotate gesture to standalone image documents

Alex Limi limi at mozilla.com
Tue Jan 29 18:33:54 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 10:17, Jared Wein wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Bug 833511 (I've CC'd the author of the patch) proposes to add rotation gesture support to standalone image documents. The motivation for this comes from images that are seen online in the wrong rotation. Performing a rotation gesture will rotate the image on the page and snap to the closest 90 degree point.
>
> Thoughts?
Thanks for letting us know! :)

Rotation gestures are some of the most dangerous and unexpected gestures, see the case of Abobe shipping Photoshop with it and then everyone getting all confused and them eventually having to disable it.

I agree that using the EXIF orientation data to solve this problem is a better solution.

*If *there's going to be a rotation gesture, the threshold for triggering it has to be *very* high. And also, it's not discoverable, as pointed out.

— Alex Limi · Product Design Strategy, Mozilla · http://twitter.com/limi · http://limi.net