Removing Ctrl + Mousewheel zoom shortcut

Justin Dolske dolske at mozilla.com
Mon Jan 28 20:26:41 UTC 2013

On 1/25/13 1:30 PM, Felipe G wrote:

> I don't know how this happens so often, but my best guess is that it's
> through the mousewheel, as Ctrl +/- seems like an unlikely combination
> to hit by accident, and most Windows users with a mouse (from my
> observations) heavily use the mousewheel

I know that I _frequently_ trigger this (accidentally) due to OS X's
inertial scrolling. Which, AIUI, is handled at a system level by OS X
converting a brief swipe gesture into a longer sequence of scroll
actions. The end result is that if you lean on the Command key at the
wrong time, or quickly scroll and then start to press a key combo
involving Command, you'll trigger a page zoom.

> So I proposed in bug 833180 that we remove this shortcut. I want to hear
> from David Bolter or Marco Zehe about it, but I wonder if anyone else
> here have any strong opinions about this.

It's not the first time I've heard of this being an annoyance, and it's
probably time we do something about it.

A few random thoughts:

* I wonder if the current page-zoom is even the right way to zoom. AIUI
mobile is doing something differently, and so we might look into that.
And as an anecdotal data point, I deliberately use OS X's crude-but-fast
screen zoom frequently but never Firefox's... Too slow and fine grained.

* I think we don't have any global page-zoom UI (eg "Always show pages
150% of normal size"). Perhaps that might be of more interest? I'm
actually curious to know more about how people use the feature as-is, as
well as what they're actually trying to do. I'm not sure how much we
looked into this originally, or if it was revisited after the initial
implementation. Taking with our A11Y experts is a great idea. Wonder if
UR can help us too.

* This might be a good case for having a setting only become sticky
after repeated use... For example, make page zoom a temporary setting
(assuming we keep it), but if a user triggers it more than X times on a
site -- within some time interval or visit count -- we prompt with a
suggestion to permanently zoom the site.

* Let's rename this feature to "page doom". (I've made this typo
repeatedly ;-)

I think these are all extra-credit, above-and-beyond simply disabling it
per 833180.

Justin